[luau] Re: Which Distribution To Go With

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Tue Nov 4 23:30:02 PST 2003

Warren Togami wrote:

>Don't worry about Fedora disappearing or Red Hat abandoning the
>community.  Everything in Fedora and even RH enterprise is still 100%
>Open Source Software.  They have not compromised Open Source principles
>in the name of corporate profit.

What would happen if, say in 5 years, that Red Hat was acquired by a
competitor or underwent management changes that did not embrace the
partnership with Fedora.  Would the Fedora name be held by the new
company/management, or would it be released to the community?  Is there
anything the company could do to inhibit the evolution of Fedora?  I
think the project makes obvious sense for Red Hat, and the debian-like
philosophy of package development is wise.  I am curious to know how it
would withstand a takeover like the Novell purchase of Suse.

--scott