[luau] Which Distribution To Go With

Steve Anderson steve at ohana.servegame.com
Tue Nov 4 19:54:01 PST 2003

> Once you get used to single boot diskette based network installs for
> redhat, mandrake, and debian, its hard to go back to downloading
> gigabytes of CDs unless you already own the CDs or are installing many
> machines.

SuSE also does the ftp install ... so no need for those ISOs and/or CDs
either.

Anyway all this distro talk centers on choice, and I had chose RedHat as linux
of choice years ago because I liked the security patch support and a rather
stable product. I could usually depend on RedHat to stay on top of the
patches. Besides they had a business interest in keeping their product
patched.

Too bad RedHat is not the company that they were before they went public. Sure
RedHat is a ton better now and that may be due to that they went public, but
I miss the good ol' days.

Mandrake is okay, but it is a little too close to the bleeding edge usually
for me and my hardware. Other seem to like it fine.

I also liked Caldera at one time and SCO (or someone) has screwed that up for
me.

I liked TurboLinux at another time but you don't really find it on the shelves
at your local store anymore. Probably could download it  ...

I like SuSE also. But with Novell buying SuSE, maybe I should just leave it
alone.

Gentoo is cool, but I find that I usually break it when I try to go my own way
instead of using the emerge thing.

I have done OpenBSD and FreeBSD, and I prefer them as servers.

So now I have to choose a new distro. Which will it be ? Slakware, Debian,
Fedora, or maybe I'll roll my own distro! But damn! I'd have to do my own
patching!

Steve A.