[luau] Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Nov 3 10:58:01 PST 2003

> I am thinking about migrating one of my systems to RHEL/WS 3.0.  As an
> RHN subscriber, I have gone through all the Red Hat links, but I still
> couldn't find out what features from the 2.6 kernel have been backported
> (e.g., ACPI?) and what application programs are included.  I admit I am
> a poor surfer.  Does anyone have any idea?  Thanx.

Off the top of my head, the Enterprise kernel is a bit more conservative
than the Fedora Core 1 kernel.  It has all the features of RH9 kernel plus
filesystem acls and extended attributes.  I am not sure about ACPI.

FC1 has all the "newest" stuff in the kernel and desktop software because
Fedora will always contain the most bleeding edge software.  Enterprise
contains mainly RH9 stuff now, because that has had a lot more time to
mature by release date.

FC1 kernel contains... (trying to remember...)
2.6's O(1) scheduler with improved interactivity patch
Native Posix Threading Layer
acpi.sourceforge.net's 2.4 kernel patch that was integrated into 2.4.23-pre
but NOT fsacls

Warren