[luau] cron vs. anacron, xinetd useful?

Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Mon Nov 3 08:13:01 PST 2003

No errors should be generated directly by having xinetd off.  Xinetd
provides internet services and they will simply not be available with it
off.  But if most errors go to syslog or the like in /var/log.

Using Xinetd on a Desktop system I can still see a reason to run it.  If
you use the CUPS printing system and want it to be backwards-compatible
with legacy lpd applications then you will want Xinetd on.

Xinetd reduces the amount of services that has to be run and frees up
memory on the system by only running the services it provides in memory.

Personally, I love Xinetd.  I even used to have my apache run off it.  A
great benefit is that you never have to restart the server after
configuration changes.  Of course there are some negatives to that but the
whole point of using Linux is figuring out why you would want or not want
to do things a certain way by experiencing it yourself.

Happy hacking,

Tom

David Burns <burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com>
Sent by: luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu