[luau] Linux Thin Clients

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 28 21:31:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 21:13, Casey Roberts wrote:
> I am looking at using thin clients in the future for
> an idea involving media in a system for a car.  It's
> still being thought out, and I was exploring the
> option of using mini-ITX systems and touchscreens for
> the thin clients.  If you guys have luck using the
> mini-ITX setup, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only
> one interested in their use for thin clients.  Please
> let us know how it goes.  Thank you!
>
> Casey

Just to clarify, "thin client" refers to a "dumb terminal", or machine
where you control software locally, but it is actually running across
the network on a powerful server.  I believe you are thinking about a
minimized computer for a car.

You will find many webpages about homebrew car media players, but the
largest hurdle you will hit is keeping hard drives from crashing with
the constant vibration of a moving car.  You may need to consider more
expensive flash storage to hold your media.  Avoid as many moving parts
as possible and it probably wont break easily.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com