[luau] Linux Thin Clients

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Wed May 28 15:31:00 PDT 2003

Aloha,

I was just wondering what is the least expensive thin client (everything
from keyboad to monitor) a company can put together to use with something
like LTSP?  I have looked around and find NO inexpensive thin clients
anywhere and X terminals are crazy expensive.  It seems that I can get a
low end desktop for the same price as a thin client.

Planning a business around scrounging for used hardware is not a good
option so I would expect to have to buy something.  Thin clients seem to
give me cost saving in hardware.  The servers will cost more to handle the
extra load.  But it should require less admin work once up and running.  Is
this a fair assessment of thin clients in a business enviroment?

Has there been any performance testing on thin clients compared to
desktops?  Something like how does Open Office run (i.e. how long to open
to perform a complex operation) on a thin client with a good server versus
a low end desktop (like a 1Ghz PIII with 128MB ram)?

Mahalo,
Dusty