[luau] Help with Sound on a ThinkPad 390x?

Tom Hackett hackett at hawaii.edu
Tue May 27 00:03:00 PDT 2003

Hi,

My name is Tom Hackett, I've been using Linux off and on for a couple years,
but up until recently most of my computer time was spent in front of my
PowerMac G4 running OS X.  A little while ago I bought myself a used IBM
ThinkPad 390x on eBay and installed Debian Linux on it.  It's been a great
experience and I've learned a lot, and had a great time.
I meant to come to the last workshop at MidPac you guys had, but the timing of
it turned out to be in conflict with another thing I had to go to.
I was actually hoping perhaps to pick somebody's brain about a problem I've
been having with my laptop.  There's really only a few things left to do to
improve my experience with this laptop and the main one is to get the sound
working better.  It didn't work right off the bat, and I tried installing
ALSA and then when that didn't seem to do much of anything, I compiled my own
kernel.  I discovered that with my newly compiled kernel, which included
support for my sound hardware in the kernel instead of as a module, I could
get sound just fine as long as I had my NetGear FA511 10/100 PC Card in.
When I remove the card the sound is garbled and out of sync.  I think that
the sound issues are beyond my abilities at the moment.  I was wondering if
perhaps somebody on this mailing list might be able to help me out?
I just noticed that you guys had your meeting at PriceBusters tongiht.  Maybe
should I just stop by the next meeting you have?

- Tom Hackett