[luau] Epson 636U on RH 9.0

Paul Mullin wh7qq at yahoo.com
Sun May 25 10:48:00 PDT 2003

For my first post to this group, I am celebrating a
minor victory:  Getting my Epson 636U scanner working
on my newly installed RH 9.  Once I dug out the info,
it was a trivial fix.  Edit /etc/sane.d/epson.conf as
follows:
1.  Comment out ('#' in front of) "scsi EPSON".
2.  Activate (no '#') "usb /dev/usb/scanner0".

Magic!  XSane works great now...better than
Twain/Windows. Hope this helps somebody.

Now if I can just figure out how to get my HP 9100
cd-writer to write files and get my onboard sound
working, I will have achieved most of the
functionality I need from Linux on this machine
(Athlon 2000XP on Asus A7n8x Deluxe w/512M and 2 12G
drives for a dual boot with Windows XP Pro.

Another issue...my USR controller modem (5610B)seems
slugish and prone to droping out in linux compared
with Windows.  I wonder if the transfer parameters are
incorrect.  Anybody know where MTU, etc. live in
Linux?

I am a Linux newbie living on the West End of
Moloka'i...pretty fair with hardware and Windows but
lost in this strange and wonderful new land of Linux.
Not too likely to find fellow Linux users on this
rock.

Paul