[luau] Problems with port forwarding using iptables

Georgia Mangiacapra g.mangiacapra at farad.com
Thu May 22 17:24:01 PDT 2003

Hi everybody, I'm a Linux beginner and I've setted up a Linux Redhat 8
Server to protect my lan.
Here is my problem:

I've configured iptables and it's working properly concerning nat and
filter.
Now, I've to make accessible a file server (MS sql 2000 Server) inside my
lan from the web, through the Firewall.
I tought that I've to do it configuting the PREROUTING table. That's wath
I've wrote:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (public FW
ip address) --dport 1433 -j DNAT --to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (private File Server
ip address)

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp -i eth0 -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (public FW
ip address) --dport 1433 -j DNAT --to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (private File Server
ip address)

and I've wrote:

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -i eth0 -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (private File Server
ip address) --dport 1433 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD -p udp -i eth0 -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (private File Server
ip address) --dport 1433 -j ACCEPT

On my Web Server I've insert on the ASP file connection:

DB_Conn.Open "DRIVER={SQL Server};Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (public FW ip
address);UID=xxx;PWD=xxx;DATABASE=xxx

Well.... it's not working, I mean I'm not able to connect from the web
server to the file server DB (the 1433 port is open on the win 2000 server).
Can somebody help me, please?

Thanks
Georgia

---