[luau] Law stuff advice

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Fri May 16 14:04:00 PDT 2003

Another piece of info is that by using "your equipment" for company
business, you've also given tacit permission for use at the convenience of
the company. This is the reason why UH is SOOOO touchy about people using
personal equipment for UH business.

It is NEVER a good policy to volunteer personal gear, and if you must. you
should get something in writing about ownership and in plain english the
intent of the "loan". In the formation of companies, such loans become part
of your "equity stake" in the formation and is considered in things like
bankruptcy or stock issuance.

My favorite saying is that "there are no such things as friends when it
comes to money".

Unfortunately, hindsight is 20/20....Ted's suggestions about leaving it
until a mutually agreed upon time is a terrific way of not burning bridges
behind you. (ie. purchase a new server as quickly as possible, and set a
real hard deadline for the aquisition of said server)

My last $0.02 worth is to let them purchase the new server, then just swap
hard disks. (if possible) This minimizes downtime and can be used to
demonstrate earnest effort if something comes back at you. Just make sure
the plan gets signed by both parties before execution.

/brian chee

*DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion and NOT those of the University of Hawaii,
nor any of its departments.
University of Hawaii ICS Dept
Advanced Network Computing Lab
1680 East West Road, POST rm 311