[luau] HOSEF online chat

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu May 15 23:12:01 PDT 2003

Please join us for online chat.  We're usually sitting there 24/7 but
away from the computer, but sometimes we're there chatting actively.

I am testing two convenient ways for joining the HOSEF chatroom.  It
seems that many people haven't used IRC before so they never come to
channel #hosef on irc.freenode.net, but with these two other ways
anybody can join easily.

3 Ways of Joining the #hosef chat room.
=======================================
CGI IRC client
http://www.hosef.org/irc/
This client should work in almost any web browser without any special
plugins.  It even works acceptably in text-mode links browser.  While it
works fairly well, I would encourage you to use one of the below two
methods because they are faster and create less server load for Videl.
This IRC is fine if you visit only quickly or your browser doesn't
support java applets like below, but if you stick around the chatroom
often you should use the native IRC client at the bottom.

Java IRC applet
http://www.hosef.org/javairc/
This should work in most web browsers in Windows, Linux and MacOS.  I
tested it in Linux with the latest version of Java, so I'm not sure what
the minimum Java plugin version is.  Please let me know which browser
and version of Java doesn't work with this applet.

Normal IRC client
http://www.freenode.net
Channel: #hosef
Server : irc.freenode.net
Use any IRC client to connect to irc.freenode.net, then join channel
#hosef.  I highly recommend http://www.xchat.org for an IRC client for
Windows or Linux, but there are many other good IRC clients out there
too.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com

p.s. Enrico or Virgil, could you please make a webpage for this
somewhere on the HOSEF site? I can write up more detailed instructions
for that page later.