[luau] Partitions

TB tburns at despammed.com
Thu May 8 09:12:00 PDT 2003

> >    Is that a relic to when hard drives were 6MB
and you had to
> >    worry about logs filling up your user space?
>
> Mostly a relic, yes. It was done mostly to help
prevent / from
> filling up.

Seems to me having one pool of free space rather than
n>1 pools wouuld be better for this in almost all
instances. Is there a reason for preferring / to have
space even when /tmp or /var is full?

> >    Is something else I should be thinking about?

Hacking linux exposed recommends the multiple
partition thing so that partitions that are fairly
static can be mounted as read only during ordinary
use. So they have to be on separate partitions from
things that change often, and especially from /tmp
which must be writable by everyone. HLE doesn't like
the idea of having something world writable on the
same partition as anything valuable/hackable, I forget
why. Somehow having them on the same partition makes
things a bit more vulnerable (links maybe?).

Of course if an intruder gets root he can remount the
sensitive partitions as RW, but supposedly this
approach cuts off some paths to cracking root in the
first place.

TB