[luau] Partitions

Matthew John Darnell mdarnell at servpac.com
Thu May 8 09:11:01 PDT 2003

> > On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 08:00:49PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> > > I personally think that one swap and one large / partition
> > > is good for almost every desktop and server. There are some
> > > special cases like wanting to separate a cache partition
> > > mounting with noatime and other performance increasing options
> > > for squid server, but otherwise separating / into multiple
> > > partitions just isn't needed for most people.
> >
> > I use noatime on all write partitions unless there is a mail
> > client that needs to read atime for biff-like (mail arrival
> > detection) features.
> >
> > Another reason for multiple partitions these days is it can help
> > reduce the time it takes to fsck the filesystems after a really
> > bad system crash.
> >
> > -Vince
> I thought noatime was a typo.  Guess I need to look it up!

That noatime seems to hve great implications for a squid cache.  I will have
to do more research on this speed tune.   That would be something else to do
a speed test on.

Anyone else who is interested you can look at this link.

http://en.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/chap6sec73.html

-Matt