[luau] Microsoft Southern California Windows Server 2003 and Visual Studio .Net 2003 Launch - Hawaii

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 7 20:14:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 18:30, Ho'ala Greevy wrote:
> just a thought:
>

> How many linux distro's can we burn between now and 7am next Tuesday, 13
> May 2003?  M$ is going to be in town showcasing their latest at the
> Convention Center that day.
>
> http://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/EventDetail.aspx?culture=en-US&EventID=1032228372
>
> If we can get kicked off the premises for passing out free software at an
> M$ event (it's happened before), that ought to attract media attention.
> Especially if we submit a press release prior to ;-]
>
> As your HOSEF Public Relations Officer, I'd be willing to take the lead on
> this.
>
> Anyone game?
> Ho'ala

I had planned on attending in order to get swag and learn about the new
product.  I feel that I am more effective in arguing against the use of
Microsoft's server products if I understand it fully.  (Hence I own a
copy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Professional since the day it
was released in order to study it, and better understand how to
interoperate with Samba.)

I like the idea of handing out open source CD's, although I think about
our target audience.  Some of them may actually try the Linux CD's, but
far more are likely to try this:
http://theopencd.org/programs/index.html

The best of Open Source applications for Windows. This disk is a bit old
though, so we would want to update the applications to the latest stable
version.

Perhaps Linux CD's, OpenCD's and some handouts.

Warren