[luau] HOSEF Activities

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Wed May 7 07:18:08 PDT 2003

I would like to announce a few things that are going on with The Hawaii
Open Source Education Foundation (HOSEF)  Many of you know that we
received very kind press in The Hawaii Business Magazine.  Some of you
know that we are deploying computers to McKinkley and Farrington.  Two
elementary schools, Liholiho and Liliuokalani, are ready for labs.

Saturday at noon we will have our organizational meeting.  You are
welcome to attend if you are interested in our objectives.  Your
suggestions are always welcome.  Time and directions are here:

http://www.hosef.org/volunteer.html

Thursday we will rent and fill a 16 foot truck with monitors and pc's
from our friends at Hickam.  These will meet our current objectives and
will allow us to give more stuff to more schools this Summer.  Someone
is free to contact me off list if they want to ride with me to get this.

The majority of this stuff will be stored in Kaneohe (mainly the
monitors) as well as some of the 100 pc's.  The rest will go to our
Stadium Workshop.  Our objective will be to memtest the pc's and test
their thin-client capability.

Our Stadium Workshop is a 10 station lab with a very powerful LTS.  Here
we can test thin-client performance before giving them to the schools.
We also have storage and seminar space here.  We will likely have some
Windward sessions to get some of us to help at the Kaneohe Warehouse.
Here we need to memtest many of these donations and check the monitors.

We have moved all of the sellable donated goods from our Stadium
location to Kaneohe.  Help is still needed inventorying the goods so
they can be given to the schools or sold for workable monies.  The
volunteer link earlier in this message mentions when and where you can help.

This Summer will be a fruitful one.  Find the time, if you will, to
taste the sweet joy of giving something to the schools.

scott