[luau] Installing Linux on a disk on a ata/100 pci card

Julio C. Gutierrez gutierrej001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun May 4 17:22:01 PDT 2003

Greetings All.
Does any one know if it is possible to install linux on a drive that is
attached to a pci ATA/100 card?
I have an old PC and the primary drive broke down, so I bough a new one
@ compusa but they only have new drives that are ATA/100 or ATA/113. so
I couldn't attach it to the primary or secondary IDE channels, and I
already had a PCI ATA/100 adapter so I attached it to it.

I was successful installing WIN2K on that drive, but I need to also
install linux on a secondary partition. I've tried RH, Mandrake and
Slack with no success all of them go crazy and I get kernel panic when I
try to tell linux which drive to use.

Any ideas?
BTW. I'm using the Promise ATA/100 adapter from Maxtor..

TIA.

Julio