[luau] Training Class - Samba Server Overview, May 5th 2003

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Fri May 2 13:09:01 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 10:17:14AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 09:56, Taylor Cody L Contractor 502 AOS/PETS wrote:
> > I've tried to take the class before. They charged me when
> > I signed up and then issued a refund when the class was
> > cancelled. It wasn't that big of a hassle, but I was looking
> > forward to the class. They didn't put me on a list of
> > interested customers either. clt

HCC is not keeping a list, but I am personally.

It might be better for those interested to contact me directly so
I can organize ad-hoc classes. The actual scheduled classes have
not historically run often, but I am hoping that will change in
the future.

> Vince had mentioned earlier that if there was enough demand, he
> could schedule another class at HCC later.

We need four signups to run the class. I have three on my waiting
list, so with tburns, that makes four.

For the Samba class, each participant will have 2 systems, one
running Linux, and the other running Windows. We will start
with basic workgroup file sharing and jump into authentication.
Time permitting, I would like to also cover domains and roaming
profiles. I will even log into your systems, break your samba
configuration and make you fix it. I intend the class to be very
hands on.

> It appears that there was enough demand this time, but the
> announcement for classes went out too late so people didn't
> sign up in time.

I will be talking to HCC to see if I can run the class off
schedule, in a week or two. If anyone else is interested, let me
know privately.

> If you would seriously pay for this and other Linux server
> training classes, please reply here so we have an idea of what
> kind of demand there is.

I really like the PCATT facilities. They run a lot of
certifcation courses and need to keep the systems relatively
current so they they can run "that other operating system" well.
The lab environment is nearly ideal.

The instructor, however, is a bit odd. =)

-Vince