[luau] RE:open source article

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu May 1 21:13:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 20:48, Robin wrote:
> Okay, I'm pretty new at this and I am impressed at what open source
> can do for the public schools.  Then why is the state pushing MS
> Office?
> Just on Tuesday I was a visitor at UH Engineering college, they too
> have so much to offer the state, I'm saying why not use the college to
> develop open source programs, other equiptment (servers,
> computers) for the state and keep the money and the knowledge base in
> the state.  They already do major research projects that can mean $$$
> for the state.
> I think there is major politics going on.  The more I seem to know I
> understand why the state is in major financial crisis.
> Just my opinion--might not be suitable for this forum.

Very suitable for this forum.  Please read my earlier post about Open
Source in government and how it can benefit Hawaii's economy.

http://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/pipermail/luau/2003-February/012477.html

The only trick is convincing people about the economic, functional and
social benefits of Open Source Software.  That is a difficult thing, but
we are making slow but steady progress on that.

Thanks,
Warren Togami
warren at togami.com