[luau] A good network filesystem

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu May 1 16:35:02 PDT 2003

I have a dillemma here that I'd really like to resolve.

Here's the situation:  I have my desktop and a server, both running Linux.  The
server speaks SMB via Samba to my Windows machines and NFS to my other UNIX-like
boxen.

When I'm on a windows machine, I access my home directory off the server using
Samba, but when I'm on my local desktop, I use my local filesystem.  NFS
mounting my homedir on my desktop from the fileserver is not feasable due to
bandwidth concerns (only 100Mbit ethernet connects the two of us) and the fact
that my PC is slightly mobile (I like to keep my data with me if I go to the
trouble of moving my desktop).

What I'd like is a way to have my hoem directories be the same on both my Linux
desktop and my server.  That way, I can access my home directories from all my
other systems off the server as normal, even if my Linux desktop is not on
(which is occassional).  Basically, I need a filesystem that will keep a local
copy of the entire directory on both my desktop and my Linux server, while
replicating immediately all changes made to it.

I'd really rather not run Samba on my desktop, and that would not really
accomplish what I desire anyway as I want my network, including my hoemdir, to
continue to function as normal even if my Linux desktop machine is not available.

I've thought of kludging off something like rsyncing between the two every
minute or so, but that's a) a horrible, horrible kludge requiring something to
be run every minute to sync up, and b) only provides per-minute consistency with
considerable overhead.  I'd like for local I/O to occur as fast as possible
(limited only by local resources such as HDD) with full caching while updates to
the filesystem proceed immediately as fast as the network can handle.

Does such a thing exist in the Linux world?  Or for that matter, does such a
thing exist?

--MonMotha