[luau] Gov Tech Magazine Article

Dennis T. Ching dtching0 at gte.net
Thu May 1 11:37:00 PDT 2003

I found this article highly informative, including the right-hand sidebar
and its collections of links.

The key issue for software developers was touched in the following excerpt:

    "A lot of open source usage is happening at the federal level and at the
international level," said the Center of Open Source & Government's Stanco,
adding that the Department of Defense is the clear open source leader at the
federal level.

    "This gives open source a certain credibility," he said. "The perception
problem was, 'How can this possibly work?' 'How can this be better than
proprietary?' 'Where does the support come from?' 'How do these people get
paid?'

    "There were a lot of misconceptions and skepticism about how this all
works," he continued. "Nobody really knows how it works yet, but people are
getting much more comfortable that it is working. Having the military
endorse open source in a big way says open source is something real. I'm a
little surprised states are still not completely on board."

It was interesting that nobody really knows how it works yet, but it is
working...

--Dennis