[luau] Gentoo emerge vs Debian apt-get

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Mon Mar 31 19:22:01 PST 2003

Dustin Cross wrote:
> #apt-get -u upgrade
>
> #emerge -e world

Things have changed and gentoo is moving to the rpm format for package
management.  This link below is from the evolving slashdot discussion.

http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20030401-newsletter.xml

I prefer Debian for a production machine with easy updating.  If you use
the stable version, you can be sure that running apt-get update and
apt-get upgrade will keep you safe and secure within the Debian
community.  You will never have to pay anything for updates, and you
have a frightfully large package base to choose from.  I have not used
gentoo, but it seems like a build it yourself debian distribution that
requires a very good mind to keep it updated and stable.

Considering your collection of and affinity for older hardware, debian
can become your friend.  I would consider it among the best server
platforms unless you move over to freebsd.

scott