[luau] turning off radhat services

tburns at despammed.com tburns at despammed.com
Mon Mar 31 16:15:00 PST 2003

Warren has a nice page at <http://www.mplug.org/phpwiki/index.php/DisablingLinuxServices> about what services to turn off after you install redhat. Unfortunately it is obsolete (says to use linuxconf, which is no longer part of the distro). I've been googling around trying to update it myself, but I'm in a bit over my head. If you guys give me a sanity check, I'll go ahead & update the page.

I'm assuming we'd use chkconfig instead of linuxconf (or maybe ntsysv?).

Here's some of the services chkconfig lists on one of my systems, with comments and questions. Some of this was cribbed from posts to comp.os.linux.questions.

keytable        Loads keyboard map. on

atd             related to crond, on.

syslog          for system logging, on.

gpm             Console mouse handler.  If you never do console, you may not need it.

sendmail        for sending mail, not needed if you always use your ISP's smtp server. off.

kudzu           recognizes hardware at startup. Is there a way to turn it off later? Is that a good idea?

netfs           supposed to automount nfs and smbfs shares, on if you want?

network         networking. on.

random          has to do with random number generation, on.

rawdevices      no idea, on.

apmd            Advanced power management daemon.  For laptops and Green machines.

ipchains iptables    firewall stuff, one or other on. Actually my system has both on, a problem?

crond           handles background/timed job scheduling. on.

anacron         Runs cron jobs that were lost during downtime.  Useful on laptops and machines that aren't up all the time

lpd             on if you have a printer, otherwise off.

ntpd            network time protocol daemon, has been a security hole, probably off.

portmap         required for samba or NFS, I forget.

xfs             X Font Server.  If you're running a standalone system Running X Window
System, you may need it.

xinetd          long story, off probably.

rhnsd           red hat network, on if you use it.

autofs          no idea

nfs             old style unix file sharing (network file system). On if you use it.

nfslock         see nfs?

nscd            no idea

identd          Identifies you to IRC servers, from what I can tell.  Known security problem; disable if you don't IRC.

radvd           no idea

snmpd           Simple Network Management Protocol.  For big networks of many
machines.  Disable.

snmptrapd       see snmpd.

isdn            no idea

sshd            on! secure shell.

vncserver       no idea

yppasswdd  ypserv  ypxfrd  samba?

winbind    no idea

smb      samba - on if you use it.

arpwatch     Keeps track of ethernet/ip pairings and logs activites. Safe to disable,
you will know when/if you want/need it.

xinetd based services:
        chargen-udp:    off
        chargen:        off
        daytime-udp:    off
        daytime:        off
        echo-udp:       off
        echo:   off
        services:       off
        servers:        off
        time-udp:       off
        time:   off
        sgi_fam:        on
        rsh:    off
        talk:   off
        kotalk: off
        ktalk:  off
        finger: off
        rexec:  off
        rlogin: off
        ntalk:  off
        telnet: off
        rsync:  off
        wu-ftpd:        off

all xinetd services seem to be off on this box, except sgi-fam, whatever that is.

Send comments and I'll try to put them into the page. Or I guess you guys could edit it directly.

Dave