[luau] Gentoo emerge vs Debian apt-get

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Mon Mar 31 16:08:00 PST 2003

Dustin Cross wrote:
> #apt-get -u upgrade

> #emerge -e world

I think you possibly mean -u here.  -e will cause a rebuild of just about
everything on the system.

> Who has used both and which do people prefer for keeping a server up-to-
> date for security patches and such.  I have never used either of these
> distros, but I am thinking of using one for the upgrade of my server from
> SuSE 7.3.  I want something easy to keep up-to-date.  The server is a web,
> SquirrelMail, and Samba server.
>
> Mahalo,
> Dusty

I certainly prefer Debian over Gentoo for most things.  Gentoo was simply "too
broken" (it seemed to be broken multiple times daily in different ways).  On the
upside, it was usually easier to "unbreak" than Debian unstable is (though
obviously you wouldn't be using that on a production system).

Debian has the benefit that you don't have to compile everything from scratch
(which can be a HUGE timesaver), but the downside is that if you don't like the
compile-time options set by the package maintainer (such as Mozilla being linked
against GTK, which tends to be rather unstable), you have to create your own
packages rather than just adjusting USE flags.

--MonMotha