[luau] Gentoo emerge vs Debian apt-get

Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Mon Mar 31 15:26:00 PST 2003

I personally find red carpet to be of good use for keeping my distro
updated. Red Carpet is made by Ximian the same company that makes
Evolution, an Outlook styled email, calendar, notebook, etc program.

"Dustin Cross" <dusty at sandust.com>@videl.ics.hawaii.edu on 03/31/2003
03:15:39 PM

Please respond to luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

Sent by:    luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

To:    <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
cc:

Subject:    [luau] Gentoo emerge vs Debian apt-get

#apt-get -u upgrade

#emerge -e world

Who has used both and which do people prefer for keeping a server up-to-
date for security patches and such.  I have never used either of these
distros, but I am thinking of using one for the upgrade of my server from
SuSE 7.3.  I want something easy to keep up-to-date.  The server is a web,
SquirrelMail, and Samba server.

Mahalo,
Dusty