[luau] Best Linux Server?

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sun Mar 30 22:33:00 PST 2003

This post kind of got lost and neglected.  But in any case, I assume
when you say raid-0 (striping), you really mean raid-1 (mirroring).  I
don't know much about servers, but I figure redhat would be a good bet.
I like Mandrake much better for desktops, but redhat is concentrated on
their server markets.  Plus Warren is working on things for redhat right
now that could make it a bunch better.  As far as raid cards go, a lot
of people like the 3-ware cards.  I have no idea about their
availability right now.  Otherwise 2 hard drive channels on the
motherboard and linux kernel raid does just fine.  Make sure you set all
the good parameters in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks, such as use DMA and
maybe something like -X 68 (man hdparm).  And you'll get good
performance and reliability.  But like has been said before, you won't
get any protection from hacks or similar things, since raid backs up
simultaneously, so you'll probably want something like a CD burner or if
you want to go old-school, a tape drive.

-Eric Hattemer
message untrimmed because it seems to have been ignored earlier: