[luau] How to repair system?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Mar 26 01:15:00 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 11:58, Thomas David Burns wrote:
> A power outage at UH last night zapped one of my linux boxes, now it
> say "OS not found" when I try to boot.
>
> Ideally I'd like to get it to boot normally again without wiping out
> the data, or find a way to get some of the data off before re-
> installing the OS.
>
> I have a linux bootable business card that supposedly has
> repair/recovery utilities on it that I am able to boot with. But I am
> completely clueless how to proceed after that. This is an area
> my "linux administration" books don't mention.
>
> There has got to be a book or a good web page out there on this topic.
> How do I find them? When I google on "repair" and "linux" I get massive
> amounts of irrelevant hits.
>
> I guess I have to try to mount the hard drive and check it out. What
> tools do I use?
>
> Dave

The "OS not found" part is somewhat scary.  If this happened immediately
after the power glitch, then I would fear hardware damage or failure. =(

What you can try is to mount your partitions from a rescue disk.  Your
Knoppix is a pretty good rescue disk, alternatively Red Hat or
Mandrake's Disk 1 have excellent Rescue functionality too.

What distro was originally on the hard drive?
What filesystem?  ext2, ext3, reiserfs, XFS, JFS, etc.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com