[luau] rc.local question

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Tue Mar 25 12:12:00 PST 2003

An embedded device I'm using has a kind of wierd, junky, hacked up,
piecemeal version of Linux running on it.  One of the problems I'm
having is that the rc.local script doesn't seem to be getting called.

in /etc/inittab, there's the following:

*****
# System initialization.
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 0
l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6
*****

My assumption is that it's trying to call the rc script and pass it the
runlevel as a variable.  As far as I can tell, the variable isn't used
in the rc script.  There's some commented out stuff that looks like they
probably used the variable, but nothing that currently uses it.

the contents of the rc.d directory are:

*****
/etc/rc.d/rc
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
/etc/rc.d/init.d
*****

which contains a set of binaries.

No where do I find any reference to the rc.local script.  I added some
"echo" comments to the rc.d/rc file, they printed out ok, I added
similar "echo" comments to the rc.d/rc.local file, I don't see them.

So I'd like to add some start up stuff of my own to the rc.local file,
but not having it run is a bit of an inconvenience.  And I'm not sure
how and where to add it.  Any recommendations?

-Charles