[luau] server question

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Fri Mar 21 12:28:01 PST 2003

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 11:42:18AM +0000, Charles Lockhart wrote:
> I've got an embedded device on which I need to run a small
> server program. It basically provides a client with access to
> some custom hardware. What I've been doing is telnetting in to
> the device, then starting the server. What I'd like to do is
> integrate the server more tightly with the system, and have it
> come up with the system.

I would suggest replacing telnet with ssh if possible.

Out of curiosity, what architecture and manufacturer are you
using for the embedded device?

> Would this be a candidate for daemon process? Or would it be
> better to just add a startup entry in the rc.local file?

I am not sure what you mean by a daemon vs. rc.local. Adding
something to rc.local is a quick hack, but you might want to
add a script to /etc/init.d and offering start/stop services
so things run more cleanly.

-Vince