[luau] Personal Touch (was anyone know of a good computer repair place?)

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Mon Mar 17 17:02:00 PST 2003

On Monday 17 March 2003 04:36 pm, Mike Sonstegard wrote:
> As a former manager at "Personal Touch Computers", I can tell you that
> who you deal with and their mood will have a great deal to do with the
> quality of work, price, and knowledgeable information that you receive.

Period.  I have definitely walked out of there before cursing, with passion,
the attitude or indifference of people who should have been more enthusiastic
about the prospect of getting my money.  I have also stood in there wishing
that I could buy more because I was getting such great help and friendly
service.  I can say this about everywhere I shop, though.  The company is the
employee, and that can be a variable.

I guess sometimes the personal touch is a jab.  Computer folk have a way of
pretending to be much smarter than they are, and with the uncertainty of this
arrogance comes the occasional bad attitude.  Don't blame the store.  Shop
for the best price. (or service in this thread)

As far as the issue of the thread goes, Stan has a suspected failed drive.
Vince quite subtly asked the obvious: If the drive IS bad, has anyone
actually had experience with a utility to recover data.  Other than a cool
utility card short on details and some bad experiences in D.C., poor Stan is
still in the dark about his drive and well enlightened about our personal
views on PT.

Stan, I suggest booting from a CD.  Knoppix will allow you to run your OS
from CD and then examine your drive.  This will give you a superficial look
at whether or not you can mount your windows partitions (is this a windows
box) and whether or not you can read data from them.  You need to do a
fsck.ext2 or a fsck.ext3 if it is a Linux box.  Clarify your situation and
perhaps more knowledge will arise.

scott