[luau] hard drive recovery practices

yuser at hi.net yuser at hi.net
Mon Mar 17 12:23:00 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Vince Hoang wrote:

> Does anyone have any [good] experiences of data recovery from
> a hard drive after a dd or fsck fails? I have never been in
> a situation where it was economically feasible to employ the
> services of hard drive surgeons in clean rooms.

The place I work now has used On-Track (www.ontrack.com) twice in the past
month.  "Not econmically feasible" is a relative term.  For recovery of a
20GB laptop HD I believe it was over $700 and we recieved files spread
across multiple cd's.  They are also in the process of recovering some
corrupt MS Exchange db files for us also.  The media is fine, just the
files are corrupt.  Actually, I had to copy the db file onto a 20GB
hardrive and send that to them for "analysis".  I have no idea how much
that is costing us but it VERY VERY expensive.  A person at the last job I
had also used On-Track and they were unable to retrieve anything useful from the drive, I believe it
to was several hundred dollars for the attempt.  Sorry for being so vague!