[luau] memory and writes to disk - linux behavior question

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Fri Mar 14 09:28:00 PST 2003

On Thursday 13 March 2003 09:54 pm, Charles Lockhart wrote:

> Any ideas as to what may be going on?  Is top lying, am I
> misinterpreting the value that top is showing, is all the memory getting
> mapped to the process even though it may not be completely used?

I have observed on a few of our servers with 1gb and 1.5gb of ram that all
the memory is "used" when we run our POS applications.  I think your
observation is correct and that all the memory is being allocated regardless
of being used.  I always liked the fact that the kernel was efficient enough
to use as much as my faster memory as possible.

scott