[luau] sendmail question

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Mar 4 19:29:00 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:10:54PM -1000, Ho'ala Greevy wrote:
> On a private, non-routed network, is there a way to create
> some sort of hosts entry for a domain name that sendmail will
> acknowledge?

OK. RFC1918.

> For example, say I wanted sendmail to send all mail destined
> for @somemail.com to a private IP of 192.168.1.254. Is there
> a way to do this in sendmail? I tried creating the entry in
> /etc/hosts but apparently sendmail didn't pay it no mind. I'd
> prefer to use qmail, but in this case I need to use sendmail. I
> can probably solve this with bind, but I'd prefer sendmail to
> do it.

I would normally suggest setting up split-brained DNS to handle
internal name resolution. But..

Lookup mailertable. I think the rule should be something like:
mydomain.com            smtp:[192.168.1.254]

Be sure to upgrade sendmail, because the recent overflow can
reach internal hosts. While I am at it, a plug for postfix: it is
a drop in replacement, and the transport map is documented very
well for this behavior.

Bind and sendmail. Ugh.

-Vince