[luau] learning the hardware end

cpaul at telemetrybox.org cpaul at telemetrybox.org
Tue Mar 4 08:15:01 PST 2003

>  I've been thinking (oh no! everybody run!  he's been thinking again!!!),
> if you guys get the 1500 166's, would an embedded version of Linux be the
> way to go on those?  I had a 166 (died two weeks ago) and it was painfully
> slow running Debian.  That's where the thought of using embedded Linux came
> from.  It would be perfect for resource-challanged computers (486s, slow
> pentiums, old laptops).

This sounds pretty good (using embedded linux on older computers).  Knoppix (or even other bootcd-hosted distros like Simply GNUStep) will run on these computers as-is, given there is a functioning CDROM and a modicum of installed RAM.  A flashram setup would be even slicker-  maybe if HOSEF gets a donation of solid-state hard drives...