[luau] no answers from roadrunner dns

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Mon Mar 3 19:49:01 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 07:17:17PM -1000, Bill Luoma wrote:
> I'm wondering about nameserver config.
> Specifically, caching. It seems like my provider,
> road runner, hardly does any. For example,
> I repeatedly request the page news.google.com.
> I imagine many other hawaii customers do the same
> thing every day. Yet, this entry is not cached
> in their dns. Is this efficient for them, a policy, an error or just rude?
> Or do they have a caching name server I don't know about?

The TTL for news.google.com is set to 5 minutes. However, google
sets the TTL for their nameservers to be 4 days, but RR's
configuration limits the max TTL to 24 hours. From my vantage
point, the DNS server does cache the results. What are you seeing
that I am not?

> Here's a trace from dns1.hawaii.rr.com:
> DnsClient::ReadResponse recv'd: 179 bytes
> from: UDPClientConnection: 24.25.227.64:53
> dn: news.google.com

I have never seen a utility that queries DNS in such a way.
I use dig to troubleshoot DNS myself.

-Vince