[luau] learning the hardware end

Luis aka Rigpa rigpa108 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:31:00 PST 2003

Scott,

   At the moment I have a couple of commitments which don't allow me to
attend your tuesday or saturday PB meetings (am taking some classes).  I do
plan to skip one these this saturday in order to attend the March 8th
meeting.  One of those commitments (saturday's) will be done with by the end
of the month, at which time I will be able to help you guys out on
saturdays.

   The main reason I want to approach the Makiki District Park personnel is
that the facilities are just a block away from my home.  It would be easy
for me to provide classes and support.

   I have a bunch of hardware sitting around my too small appartment.  Is
there stuff you guys can't use?  I can go thru and bring over any stuff you
guys could use.  I can also ask a couple of techy ratpacks I know in case
they have stuff they can hand over.

  I've been thinking (oh no! everybody run!  he's been thinking again!!!),
if you guys get the 1500 166's, would an embedded version of Linux be the
way to go on those?  I had a 166 (died two weeks ago) and it was painfully
slow running Debian.  That's where the thought of using embedded Linux came
from.  It would be perfect for resource-challanged computers (486s, slow
pentiums, old laptops).

  My idea is to have a process where people learn how to be able to pick a
computer off the dumpster and make it work, thus my interest in teaching
Linux and the hardware end of things.  In other words, keep the computer off
the landfill and put it in someone's home where they can use it.  Years ago
I used to do kickass stuff on my brand spanking new $4k(without monitor!)
8Mb 25MHz 486.  There is no reason people who have tight monetary resources
could not do the same today.  "Computing for the people. Every people."  BTW
- The other day I read an article about a low income housing project that
had a computer lab.  They were planning to install wireless access next.  A
kickass concept if you ask me.

   The people of Hawaii, especialy the children, could really benefit from
the HOSEF project.  I hope to be able to do my part.

Thanks,
Luis.

>On Saturday 01 March 2003 04:50 pm, Luis aka Rigpa wrote:
> > I was thinking of a

pproaching the Makiki District Park personnel about the