[luau] learning the hardware end

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Sun Mar 2 11:53:00 PST 2003

On Saturday 01 March 2003 04:50 pm, Luis aka Rigpa wrote:
> I was thinking of approaching the Makiki District Park personnel about the
> possibility of offering a hardware/linux installation course at their
> facilities.  Would HOSEF play into something like that?  The plan would be
> to set up a computer lab in one of their rooms for use by the community.
> Linux OS, networking, and application classes could be offered there.  A
> course teaching how to put a computer together and how to install Linux
> would also be offered.  The goal is to bring open source knowledge to the
> community. "Build it and they will come."  ;-)
>
> Would it be possible to use some of the hardware donated to HOSEF for such
> a purpose?

This is a great initiative and of course hardware could be made available as
available.  Can you come by either Tuesday or Saturday when we gather at
Pricebusters in Stadium Marketplace?  This Saturday, the 8th, would be
especially good since we have a HOSEF organizational meeting the second
Saturday of each month.

Starting the 15th of this month, we have decided to begin offering a cycle of
classes pertaining to Linux.  We are going to discuss it in more detail this
Saturday, but the fact is our space at PB will become limited pretty shortly.
Space like what you are talking about would be extraordinarily useful and
extremely accessible.  We have spoken with and have been contacted by another
community type center, but we have not had the time yet to get to them.  We
can use your desire.

Please come to the Saturday meeting at noon when we discuss this further.  In
short, two ideas have developed to teach the public and to teach educators.
Both would rotate around 4 three hour courses.  The first is for learning to
build or upgrade your computer.  We will invite people to bring in their own
machine if they want to, or we will provide a lab computer.  The second class
will be for installing linux on the computer.  The third class will be for
navigating the gui and learning what is where.  The fourth class is to be led
by the student's questions.  This "curriculm", if you will, may need more
time and certainly will evolve with other's input.  The basic idea is to have
a continuous schedule of classes with as many cycles per year as possible.

I thought we should do this for free, at first.  A wiser volunteer has
suggested we do differently.  The reasons are a)we need to raise funds to buy
the servers and hardware we want to give schools for the LTSP and b)people
will take the process more seriously if they have to take a personal stake
via funds.  The initial plan is that we offer the classes for $10 a class, or
$40 for the cycle.  One can attend any of the 4 at any time.

For educators, and in particular, the Tech Coordinators, we want to give them
the computer that they use for the class and allow them to take it to their
school when we are done.  In doing so, we walk an individual through 12 hours
of orientation before we GIVE them the PC, monitor, and accessories to take
back to work.  We would do these sessions separately from the public
sessions.  This cycle of classes that include owning the PC would be $50.
Only $40 if they can bring their own computer, Pentium 200 and above.

This is a means to our ends.  The ends is to have money through donations,
grants, and fund raising to be able to buy the server and hardware to go
along with the thin clients that we then GIVE a school.

The pros are obvious.  The idea of rewarding 12 hours of class with a
computer insures that there is at least a legitimate start to the orientation
process.  The cons may be equally obvious.  We are thinking about
legitimizing the classes by asking for a donation in exchange.  While it
"only" amounts to 3.33 an hour for the class, it may be asking too much.  I
am aware that every penny is a penny more than and educator/TC have.  The
reality, though, is that they are probably already supplementing the
shortcomings with their own resources.

> Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for thinking of this and please contact me off list or just come to
the meetings to build on these ideas.

> Thanks,
> Luis.

no, thanks to you