[luau] usb/pcmcia to serial port converter?

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Jun 26 13:32:01 PDT 2003

Charles Lockhart wrote:
> Probably a big duh, but I need a serial port on my laptop to talk over
> minicom to an embedded device for debug.  The duh part is I go in to
> hook it up and realize that my laptop doesn't have a serial port.  So I
> need to go get something that'll work for this, but I need it to be
> linux compatible.  Any recommendations, beyond getting a new brain while
> I'm at it?
>
> -Charles

There's plenty of PCMCIA serial adapters.  There's also tons of USB serial
adapters, many of which work in linux.  There's a big USB Linux compatibility
site (google for it, it'll be the first hit) that will list compatibility.  You
can usually find devices that are literally plug-n-play.  Just plug it in and
linux says you have another serial port (usually numbered above 3 tho).

--MonMotha