[luau] compact flash

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Jun 26 13:30:01 PDT 2003

TB wrote:
... Is there a
> widget that makes them act like a hard drive or
> something? ...

Yup.  The CF spec requires that the card actually be able to speak IDE in
addition to normal PCMCIA ATA Flash protocols!  This means that there are
CF<->IDE adapters that are completely passive (basicaly, a board with an IDE
connector, CF connector, power connection, some caps and resistors, and
sometimes a NAND gate, I believe to facilitate master/slave or possibly the
status LEDs).  All in all, they're VERY simple adapters.

Of course, using a CF card in a USB reader makes it look liek SCSI to linux, and
usign it in a PCMCIA<->CF adapter (also purely passive as CF is just a stripped
down PCMCIA spec) they'll show up as IDE hard drives.

The CF<->IDE converts allow you to use it as a normal hard drive.  The BIOS
thinks it's a hard drive and everything.  You can boot off of them even!  I just
use lilo.

--MonMotha