[luau] Server advice

Wayne Bow sysadmin at om-consulting.com
Thu Jun 19 21:17:03 PDT 2003

Aloha,

Thanks Scott and Vince for your replies.

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 04:55:21PM -1000, Wayne Bow wrote:
> > Has anyone here worked with Linux as a file server hosting
> > QuickBooks database files being accessed by Windows clients?
> > Any luck? Words of caution?
>
> No, but I suggest checking to see if two clients can open the
> same database read/write at once.

This is why I'm asking. The QuickBooks is a network version
licensed for multiple users. The database was installed on a win 95
box (!) that has been 'The Server' for way too long. Windows 95
has a problem with multiple users and allowed the DB to become
corrupted.  We repaired and verified the database and have moved
it temporarily to an XP Pro box which, according to Intuit support,
will handle the file-sharing aspect. 'Officially',  Intuit does not
support Linux as a server and will not help with problems 'related to
that setup.'  They recommend Win 2000 Server. My Client and I
would rather pass on that additional ex[ense.

I don't see where it would be a problem as long as the OS uses  up-to-date protocols.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to test it out with my QB file and
see how if I can trash (a copy of) my data.

Aloha,
Wayne Bow
Netork Administrator
St. Francis School		808.988.4111x107