[luau] make oldconfig - what does it do?

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Jun 17 10:13:00 PDT 2003

Charles Lockhart wrote:
> I've been looking through the Configure script in the linux/scripts
> directory trying to figure out what exactly "make oldconfig" does, but
> I'm missing something.  I'm trying to figure out the source for the way
> the script makes its decisions.  Is it basing it off some other config
> file, is it looking at what's in the current kernel, the kernel that's
> listed in the makefile, what?
>
> Sorry, it's a lame question.
>
> -Charles

Make oldconfig takes your (presumably old, such as before patches were applied
or from a previous kernel version) and "compares" it against the new config
options.  It will ask you only about options that are new.  It's generally a
good idea to run this even if no new config options have been added that show up
ni the UI if you patch kernels because some "hidden" (automatically set based on
other options selected) CONFIG_* options may have been added and running "make
oldconfig" will set those appropriately.

--MonMotha