[luau] Advise on Compaq Presario 1692

Paul Mullin wh7qq at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 19:57:00 PDT 2003

Having succeeded in getting R.H. 9 up and doing
everything I need on my desktop machine, I am now
eyeing the Compaq 1692 Laptop that my late brother
left me.  It is a K6-400 machine with 64 Meg built in
and I have been unable to get W98 SE to recognize the
128 M add in.  It has a DVD player and a floppy, ATI
video support and the Lucent LT winmodem.  I have
about 3.5G left on the hard drive.

Is this a reasonable candidate for a stripped down
installation or should I just resign myself to putting
up with all the wierdness in the Compaq W98 SE
installation?

I'd appreciate any comments on possible or likely
pitfalls.  I would do it as a dual boot initially to
see if it was really practical and then, if
successful, wipe out W98 altogether and start from
scratch.

This is the computer my spouse uses for her email and
internet adventures, and I have  used it as a backup
for my desktop machine in times of crash/burn. I am a
Linux newbie.

Paul, WH7QQ