[luau] trouble downloading SuSE 8.2

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jun 9 15:01:01 PDT 2003

Hi everyone.  As some of you may know, I have been struggling to get Viavoice running. I had it running on Mandrake, which worked up through 8.2, but no longer works on 9.0 or 9.1.  So now I am back to 8.2; it works there.  But I would like to use a more up to date linux; I learned on the web that it works on SuSE, including the most recent, 8.2.  Downloading SuSE is kind of tricky.  You first have to download a boot.iso file, and then connect through ftp to their server.  When you do get there, it needs to download a large ram disk >45mb, from which it installs the program.  I was able to do all that on my son's "killer" fast AMD game machine (which I rarely get to use), but not able to get it downloaded and installed on my K6-500.  I have gotten as far as completing the ram disk, but then it freezes somewhere during the install; the farthest I have gotten is about 48% installed. Now each time I try again, it seems worse, i.e. freezes somewhere during the ram disk download.  I am guessing it is either a speed issue (my slow processor) or ram (have 190mb). Any ideas?

Looks like I could copy (download) all the 8.2 files to the faster machine and possibly install over my network.  I have not yet tried to install ViaVoice on RH9, another possible option.  Also I am fairly sure it could work on Debian, since it worked (mostly) on Xandros. Thanks for any suggestions.