[luau] CPU states in top?

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 6 09:57:01 PDT 2003

Charles Lockhart wrote:
> I just got a 1u rack mount dual Xeon system from these guys:
>
> http://www.swt.com/thin4.html
>
> I was looking at top and noticed that it lists 4 CPU states, where I'd
> generally figure there'd be one per CPU.  Any ideas why this would be? I
> opened it up to be sure, and yep, there's only 2 CPUs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Charles

Any chance it could have something to do with the Xeon's
"Hyperthreading" technology?  I think I read something somewhere
(helpful, I know) that mentioned that the Linux kernel can treat the P4s
with hyperthreading as virtual dual processors.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with these processors yet, so I can't
tell you for sure.

Chris