[luau] software incompatibilities?

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 6 09:07:00 PDT 2003

Sorry if this is already been covered but I'm too obtuse to have noticed.

I recently started using RH 9 for some of my newer machines.
Unfortunately I've been getting segmentation faults for stuff that used
to run on my RH 7.2/3 machines.  Examples, I installed the drivers for
some fiber serial devices we use, and while they load ok, some function
calls generate segmentation faults.  I use an embedded linux cross-dev
system called Elinos, which installed and ran fine on my RH7.2/3
machines, now generates a segmentation fault during install, as soon as
it tries to run the install binaries.

I'm guessing that maybe it's a conflict between binary formats or
something?  Problems running binaries generated with the older gnu
compiler on a system built by a newer gnu compiler?  That sound likely
or reasonable?  Any ideas how I can get around it?

Thanks,

-Charles