[luau] mbox vs Maildir

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jul 29 11:03:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 13:33, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Like many of us, I have been enjoying reasonably spam free, sorted, and
> web-accessible mail via
> exim/fetchmail/procmail/spamassasin/imap/squirrelmail.  It has been a
> delight.  Not content with good enough, I have been toying with the idea of
> using courier-imap instead of uw-imap.  Courier uses the maildir format
> apparently developed by DJB for qmail, and Uw-imap uses the standard mbox
> format.  The way I understand it, maildir can be much less processor
> intensive for large or multiple mailboxes.

I don't have anything intelligent to say about Maildir as I have very
little experience there, but I personally moved from uw-imap to dovecot
for my IMAP server and never looked back.  dovecot is an ultra fast and
secure (think vsftpd of mail) POP3/IMAP4 server that handles either mbox
or Maildir.  I personally use it with mbox because that's what I had
been using with my earlier uw-imap, but dovecot suddenly makes it MUCH
faster and very reliable.

http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/

dovecot is in Debian and Red Hat Rawhide currently.

Warren