[luau] RedHat, RR, and Hostname

Steve Anderson emac at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 06:27:01 PDT 2003

I have been trying to fix an issue that I have with my RedHat 9 system.
The system is connected via cable modem to RoadRunner, so it receives a
DHCP IP. The DHCP client also provides a hostname. The hostname is NOT a
FQDN so Gnome/GDM will not allow me to login when the system is set to
the hostname provided by the DHCP client.

I am able to log in into KDE fine, so I am not dead in the water.

I have tried a few different things. First I applied a startup script
that seemed to change the hostname to the FQDN of the assigned DHCP IP.
This failed to correct the problem with Gnome/GDM.

Then I put a "local" HOSTNAME entry in one of the /etc/sysconfig
configuration files, and added the host to /etc/hosts. So the hostname
is of my choosing, but of course it is not a FQDN. At least this method
allows Apache to run, but I can not login via Gnome/GDM.

Google searches found this same problem many times, but I was unable to
find a resolution.

Any suggestions?

Steve A.