[luau] Taipei Linux Expo 2003

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Thu Jul 24 08:15:00 PDT 2003

http://show.tca.org.tw/tica2003/linuxexpo.php

Taipei Linux Expo 2003 will be held from 7/30 through 8/3.  Last year,
the attendence exceeded 50,000.

Since Taiwan practically owns the computer periphery manufacturing
market, this year's Taipei Linux Expo also includes Linux embedded IAs
(information appliances) such as video phones, in addition to the
traditional Linux stuff (Linux certification, servers, Linux office
environment, Linux-based e-government plans, etc.)

I will ask one of my associates to attend the expo, and hope she will
send me something useful.

On the e-government plan, I want to remind everyone on this forum that
Japan's LDP announced last year that Linux will be an important part of
the $10 billion project to rebuild Japan's national information
infrastructure, which is to begin in 2007.  (Has anyone ever wondered
why IBM is so gungho about Linux?)

This brought me an interest thought that I wanted to jot it down before
I forget: How does anyone think of a "co-op-type" Linux store on the
island? Any possibility that this idea may not become a complete
failure? How should it be structured so that it can be run not only
cost-effectively but also frugally?  At least this will be the best way
for those who are really interested to get hands-on experience if I can
find a number of responsible people who can and are willing to take care
of the store.

Wayne