[luau] Liholiho TODO list

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jul 17 08:47:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 08:38, TB wrote:
> for username &

> You could try connecting to the server the hard way,
> then make an alias of the mounted share, put it in the
> apple menu or dock. From then on the alias goes
> straight to the username password dialog (unless the
> share is mounted already, in which case it goes
> straight to the share). If there are multiple shares
> you might need multiple aliases per server, but maybe
> can authenticate only once.

This only works for that user's home directory share, but not generally
as a login frontend for any user.  We tried this on OS9.

> This of course does not explain why the shares don't
> show up in the chooser. Can OS9 really deal with SMB
> or was that introduced in OSX? Or are these shares on
> the mac server, that would be mystifying!?

OS9 can't deal with SMB natively, but OSX can.  I want to avoid SMB for
the many many students accounts because it greatly complicates things in
needing the smbpasswd entry and separate password from the PAM password
for each user.  Only a few teachers use real Windows machines anyway.

AFS over TCP authenticates directly off of PAM, so it is extremely
easy.  It is not showing up in the chooser because of the net-range and
other parameters that MUST be set manually on a multihomed AFS server.

Warren