[luau] Liholiho TODO list

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jul 16 21:48:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 21:07, Nakashima wrote:
> Hi again,
> After Warren left Liholiho, I moved our Mac file server off of the
> LTSP
> network. It's probably coincidence, but now, I can't access the
> Internet from any LTSP client. Anyone have any ideas or any advice as
> to where to start? I'll be at school tomorrow between 9am-3pm if any
> of
> you gurus want to take on this challenge. Please call me at 381-5966.

Something strange happened to the network after I left.  I'm guessing it
is probably a physical problem with the cabling if the server itself
didn't crash.  Go ahead and try a clean reboot anyway tomorrow morning.

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 20:58, Nakashima wrote:
> Hi all,
> We're looking for a few sharp Mac people to give us a hand with the
> first part of the ToDo list.
> Anyone?
>
> We basically want to find an easy way for our students to access their
> Home directory via Mac OS 9 without having to manually type in the
> server IP address.

The need to enter the IP address was because the name wasn't showing up
in the chooser.  I think that problem was related to the multihomed
netatalk routing problems causing confusion between the sub-daemons of
netatalk.  This is the first time I seriously looked at the AFP over TCP
protocol so I don't fully understand the issue there yet... but it is
probably something simple once the right parameters are found for the
net-range or something.

Once the server can be found in the chooser, it would be more convenient
to have Apple menu option or desktop icon that asks the user for name &
password rather than the kids needing to go into the chooser.  This I
have no idea how to do, but it seems simple enough that I bet power Mac
users would know.  We would need to know how for MacOS 9 and X.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com