[luau] Powering Off a Linux Machine

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 12:30:01 PDT 2003

> I recently acquired a linksys router, since I am expanding my home network (two whole comps now, yay!).  Basically, when I just had one box running, I had established ipv6 to ipv4 tunneling of ipv6 packets using the all-6to4-relays IPv4 anycast address of 192.88.99.1.  However, it appears my linksys router is not currently ipv6toipv4 enabled (I think, mainly just a gateway currently, as when I ping6 to the anycast address, my pings get out, but don't get back in.)  Just wondering if any guru on the list might have a quick solution, before I spend half a day at the linksys website.

I've never heard of anyone successfully running 6to4 over a Linksys router with
NAT.  Nor have I ever heard of anyone making a sit tunnel work over it.  If your
router supports forwarding of arbitrary ip PROTOCOLS (NOT tcp/udp ports), you
can forward the protocol to a box that DOES understand it (like your linux box)
and make it for from there.  I beleive it's protocol number 43, but "grep ipv6
/etc/protocols" to check as that may very well be AH, ESP, or GRE (I work with
too many protocols :).

For "real" networking, Linksys routers unfortunately just don't measure up.
They're great for your average home user, but anyone wanting to do networking on
the level you are (no consumer networking equipment manufacturer or ISP in the
US that I am aware of has even acknowledged what IPv6 is, let alone supported
it), you're probably best off getting a "real" router (mid range cisco for
example, much as I dislike cisco, but as Warren will attest, I dislike
everything :) or just using that linux box of yours as a router.  Linux boxes
these days can do just about everything even a high end Cisco can do, but at a
much nicer price point :)  All you need is two NICs.

--MonMotha